We continue the series on the Seller Life Cycle with a conversation on how a well-done pre-listing package can set you apart from the pack and put you in the first position for that listing even before you step foot into the seller’s home.
Why Use a Pre-Listing Package?
- Set yourself apart from the competition as a professional
- To effectively communicate your unique value proposition of why sellers should hire you to market and sell their property
- Shorten the amount of time spent at the actual listing presentation
- Educate and inform the sellers on the home selling process
- Encourage the sellers to get necessary items and complete some documentation prior to your meeting
- Sending them your pre-listing package allows adequate time for all parties to review your track record, your testimonials and your approach to marketing homes before you meet face-to-face.
Pre-Qualify the Sellers
Typical pre-qualification questions include:
- Why are you selling?
- Where are you planning to go after your sale?
- When do you need to be there?
- Do you have a price in mind that you are seeking?
- How did you arrive at that price?
- Do you need the proceeds from the sale of your current home to purchase your next home?
- Are you interviewing any other agents?
- Is there anyone else we would need to include in our discussions about selling your home – a spouse, a parent, etc.?
Let the seller know you will be sending them important information to review and some prep (homework) for them prior to your meeting.
- Explain how that reviewing the information, in advance, could save an hour or more of time when you meet.
- We recommend that you stick to the phrase, “sending over some important information” or something similar and not “I’m going to send you my pre-listing presentation.”
- We don’t recommend sending the CMA or copies of the paperwork
- If sellers have reviewed your pre-listing presentation, you may find that you can focus primarily on reviewing the CMA, Pricing the property, discussing condition, staging, repairs and answering any specific questions or concerns.
- Your “Listing Presentation” can be the Pre-Listing Package with some additional optional materials:
- Support material & graphics for Pricing the Home to Sell
- Samples of Your Marketing & Advertising
- The formal CMA report
Pre-Listing Package Contents
- A branded cover and a catchy title like “Preparing for a Successful Home Sale”
- A brief introduction letter
- A brief personal bio
- Your track record of results compared to the market
- Client testimonials
- An explanation of how buyers search for and evaluate homes.
- An explanation of how you prepare the homeowner, and their home, for a successful sale.
- A brief description of how you generate interest and showings.
- A list of the items the seller needs to provide (homework)
Provide the seller with a list of the items you will need to market their home. You can also optionally include those forms/disclosures that will require time to complete or information from them.
“Please have these items ready for our review when we meet to help save you time and make the process more efficient.”
Options include (customize based on the requirements or what is typical in your market area):
- A copy of the floor plan, if available
- Copies of utility and property tax bills
- Alarm codes, if applicable
- Current Loan Information
- Copies of any transferable warranties
- Copies of user manuals for major appliances, alarm systems, irrigation
- Keys for the front door. If there are doors that are keyed separately that a buyer will want opened (e.g., storage shed) please include copies of those keys as well.
- Example Forms:
- Seller’s disclosure statement
- Homeowner’s Association Information
- Loan Verification Request Form
BONUS: USE VIDEOS
- Create an Intro Video – Explaining the Pre-Listing Package
- Series of Videos:
- Dangers of Overpricing
- Marketing The Listing
- Staging your house to sell
- Home Selling Process
- Helpful Hints to Sell your Home
At Home Connect America: THE Home for Teams, we see YOU as a small business owner. Home Connect America was created to help professionals like you build a successful real estate team. Our purpose is to help you seamlessly connect your business, your life, and your community so that you realize your ultimate goals and dreams. Our ultimate goal is to provide you with freedom. Everyone has a different objective and we believe that you should have the freedom to achieve what you want. We’ll be there to help you reach whatever that looks like for you. We make it happen with specialized coaching, training, and business systems designed to show you how to operate a successful business focused on providing excellent service and results.
Contact Jan O’Brien for a confidential interview to learn more about our proprietary training and coaching programs, team systems and software. Call or text Jan at 702-858-9191.
Real Estate and Reality meet as co-hosts, Jan O’Brien and Matt Emerson bring you Tips, Tools, & Topics to supercharge your business. They’ll share their insights along with interviews with industry thought leaders. The ethos of WBNL Coaching is helping you to align and connect so that you can prosper. The Wandering Zen segment will offer you some inspiration so that you can disconnect and recharge.
Visit WBNL Podcast for all of our Episodes, Show Notes, Videos and Links to Resources