“Gratitude unlocks the fullness of life. It turns what we have into enough, and more. It turns denial into acceptance, chaos to order, confusion to clarity. It can turn a meal into a feast, a house into a home, a stranger into a friend. Gratitude makes sense of our past, brings peace for today and creates a vision for tomorrow.” – Melody Beattie
Practicing gratitude daily creates awareness and appreciation for what we do have that is positive and life affirming. It gives us perspective. Gratitude fosters a sense of overall well-being and contentment when we incorporate it into our daily awareness.
And let’s face it, in this day and age of 24/7 access to everything from constant use of our smart phones and social media to cable tv channels and streaming services, we are bombarded with information. Unfortunately, much of this information-overload is negative, chaotic and disturbing news, images, and drama. This constant bombardment of information, updates and notifications can negatively impact our health, stress levels, and overall attitude.
What we focus on we attract into our lives. So what are you focusing on right now? Is it positive or negative? Does it lift you up or break you down? Below are two simple strategies to cultivate more gratitude in your life and the lives of others.
Keep a Gratitude Journal
A gratitude journal is an excellent and easy way to cultivate more gratitude and happiness in your life. I highly recommend this podcast: The Upside with Callie and Jeff https://www.callieandjeff.com/. Check out their Gratitude Journal on sale now for $24 https://stores.portmerch.com/theupside/
Here are some ideas to get you journaling:
- Select a journal or notebook that attracts or inspires you. Visit a bookstore and see what jumps out for you. Discover if you prefer ruled or un-ruled, blank or lined pages.
- Get a favorite pen or writing instrument. Don’t underestimate the value of a great pen!
- At the end or beginning (or both) of the day simply answer this question in your gratitude journal –
Today I am grateful for…
- What happened today that made you smile?
- Who are you thankful for today?
- Notice and record memorable moments
- Notice and write down synchronicities
- Celebrate the small things
Go Digital! Keep a digital journal or diary … there are plenty of APPs for that! Just search journal or diary in the APP store. Here are two I recommend checking out:
- Journal for Evernote https://productivityist.com/journaling-with-evernote/
- Day One https://dayoneapp.com/
Pay it Forward – Share the Gratitude
Send more thank you notes!
Here are the top reasons why you should include writing personal notes as a daily success strategy for your business:
- Personal Notes are always opened and read.
- They leave a lasting impact.
- Personal, written thank you notes will make someone’s day!
- They help you build and deepen the quality of your connections and relationships.
Our recommendations on how to implement this powerful practice and get the best results:
- Write the note in the moment – immediately after the interaction or when you have the feeling of gratitude.
- Keep it simple and to the point. Simply let someone know why you appreciate him or her in your life.
- Use a blank card so you can hand write a personal message.
- Always have a supply of blank note cards, envelopes and stamps on hand.
- Hand-address the envelope with both the destination address and return address.
More Gratitude Practice Resources:
In her best selling book “Simple Abundance – A Day Book of Comfort and Joy “, Sarah Ban Breathnach takes the reader on a daily inspirational and transformational journey toward self-discovery and awareness weaving these 6 major themes of gratitude, simplicity, order, harmony, beauty and joy.
Go Gratitude – Take the 42-day gratitude experiment. Watch the video and then sign-up to receive “42 daily doses of high-frequency images, artwork, inspirational messages and resources.”
Check out these articles on Gratitude: